- a medicine, as a compound of iron, that tends to increase the amount of hematin or hemoglobin in the blood.
- of or obtained from hematin.
Origin of hematinic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for hematinic
As a hematinic, the protochloride of iron justifies the confidence of the medical profession.
- Acting to improve the quality of blood, as by increasing hemoglobin concentration or stimulating red blood cell formation.
- Of or relating to hematin.
- A drug that improves the quality of blood, as by increasing hemoglobin concentration.hematic