- descending by inheritance.
- transmitted or transmissible in the line of descent by force of law.
- holding title, rights, etc., by inheritance: a hereditary proprietor.
- (of a collection of sets) signifying that each subset of a set in the collection is itself a set in the collection.
- of or relating to a mathematical property, as containing a greatest integer, applicable to every subset of a set that has the property.
Origin of hereditary
SYNONYMS FOR hereditary
Examples from the Web for hereditarily
Nevertheless, it cannot be denied, that upon the whole they are hereditarily entitled to embonpoint.Moby Dick; or The Whale|Herman Melville
In healthy and not hereditarily neuropathic men complete abstinence is possible without injury to the nervous system.Studies in the Psychology of Sex, Volume 6 (of 6)|Havelock Ellis
The De Courcy's were hereditarily shortsighted, and had been so for thirty centuries at least.Barchester Towers|Anthony Trollope
Thus the brain of each kind is hereditarily supplied with certain nervous connections wanting in the brain of other kinds.The Evolutionist at Large|Grant Allen
I myself here use 'totem' only of the object which lends its name, hereditarily, to a group of kin.Social Origins and Primal Law|Andrew Lang
British Dictionary definitions for hereditarily
- descending or capable of descending to succeeding generations by inheritance
- transmitted or transmissible according to established rules of descent
- (of a set) containing all those elements which have a given relation to any element of the set
- (of a property) transferred by the given relation, so that if x has the property P and xRy, then y also has the property P
Derived Formshereditarily, adverbhereditariness, noun
Medicine definitions for hereditarily
Science definitions for hereditarily
Culture definitions for hereditarily
A descriptive term for conditions capable of being transmitted from parent to offspring through the genes. The term hereditary is applied to diseases such as hemophilia and characteristics such as the tendency toward baldness that pass from parents to children.