- a heterosexual person.
Origin of het
- a combining form meaning “different,” “other,” used in the formation of compound words: heterocyclic.
Origin of hetero-
Examples from the Web for heter
Historical Examples of heter
This is meter as Pol sed to Petre put on the gridel and take of the heter.Two Knapsacks
- slang short for heterosexual
- archaic, or dialect a past tense and past participle of heat
- a Scot word for hot
- other, another, or differentheterodyne; heterophony; heterosexual Compare homo-
Word Origin for hetero-
"heated," archaic, late 14c., from variant past participle of heat (cf. lead/led, etc.).
word-forming element meaning "other, different," from comb. form of Greek heteros "the other (of two), another, different;" first element meaning "one, at one, together," from PIE *sem- "one;" the second cognate with the second element in Latin al-ter, Gothic an-þar, Old English o-ðer "other."
- Other; different:heterocellular.
- A prefix that means different or other, as in heterophyllous, having different kinds of leaves.