- a representative of one sovereign member of the Commonwealth of Nations in the country of another, having a rank and responsibilities generally similar to those of an ambassador.
- the chief of a special international commission or other organization.
- the head of government in a mandate, protectorate, possession, or the like.
Origin of high commissioner
First recorded in 1880–85
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the senior diplomatic representative sent by one Commonwealth country to another instead of an ambassador
- the head of an international commission
- the chief officer in a colony or other dependency