- Persian name of India, especially the part N of the Deccan.
- the predominantly Hindu areas of India, as contrasted with the predominantly Muslim areas of Pakistan.
Examples from the Web for hindustan
Contemporary Examples of hindustan
Many writers, like Anu Chopra in the Hindustan Times, have correctly criticized the movie for its “lack of logic.”‘Dhoom 3’ Review: Bollywood’s Baffling Blockbuster
December 31, 2013
Karen Leigh is a reporter and anchor for the Hindustan Times, based in New Delhi.Keeping Up With the Mubaraks
January 29, 2011
Historical Examples of hindustan
Carwar is on the west coast of Hindustan, some 350 miles south of Bombay.
With the blood of heroes the soil of Hindustan is ever fertile.The New World of Islam
Amritsur is better built than the generality of towns in Hindustan.Celebrated Travels and Travellers
But why, you may ask, have not the people in Hindustan united in the same way?The Romance of Mathematics
Sarmundal, from Kattyawar, Hindustan; a kind of dulcimer in a case.Musical Myths and Facts, Volume I (of 2)
- the land of the Hindus, esp India north of the Deccan and excluding Bengal
- the general area around the Ganges where Hindi is the predominant language
- the areas of India where Hinduism predominates, as contrasted with those areas where Islam predominates