- the style of life of a hipster.
Origin of hipsterism
- a usually young person who is trendy, stylish, or progressive in an unconventional way; someone who is hip.
- a person, especially during the 1950s and 1960s, characterized by a particularly strong sense of alienation from most established social activities and relationships; a beatnik or hippie.
- a performer or admirer of jazz, especially swing; a hepcat.
Origin of hipster1
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- slang, rare
- an enthusiast of modern jazz
- an outmoded word for hippy 1
- (modifier) (of trousers) cut so that the top encircles the hips
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for hipsterisms
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper