- the body of literature dealing with historical matters; histories collectively.
- the body of techniques, theories, and principles of historical research and presentation; methods of historical scholarship.
- the narrative presentation of history based on a critical examination, evaluation, and selection of material from primary and secondary sources and subject to scholarly criteria.
- an official history: medieval historiographies.
Origin of historiography
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the writing of history
- the study of the development of historical method, historical research, and writing
- any body of historical literature
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper