- a sequence of changing states that, upon completion, produces a final state identical to the original one.
- one of a succession of periodically recurring events.
- a complete alteration in which a phenomenon attains a maximum and minimum value, returning to a final value equal to the original one.
- the smallest interval of time required to complete an operation in a computer.
- a series of computer operations repeated as a unit.
Idioms about cycle
Origin of cycle
OTHER WORDS FROM cyclesu·per·cy·cle, noun
How to use cycle in a sentence
France 24 is providing live, round-the-clock coverage of both scenes as they progress.LIVE Coverage of the Paris Terror Attacks||January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The most recent issue contains detailed instructions for building car bombs, and the magazine frequently draws up hit-lists.U.S. Spies See Al Qaeda Fingerprints on Paris Massacre|Shane Harris, Nancy A. Youssef|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Sands was involved in a scandalous-for-the-time romance with the carpenter and there were rumors she was pregnant with his child.New York’s Most Tragic Ghost Loves Minimalist Swedish Fashion|Nina Strochlic|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Three on-the-record stories from a family: a mother and her daughters who came from Phoenix.I Tried to Warn You About Sleazy Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein in 2003|Vicky Ward|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The big slug happened to hit the suspect in the street, passing through his arm and then striking Police Officer Andrew Dossi.Shot Down During the NYPD Slowdown|Michael Daly|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Sleek finds it far harder work than fortune-making; but he pursues his Will-o'-the-Wisp with untiring energy.The Pit Town Coronet, Volume I (of 3)|Charles James Wills
Many of us had been hit by the balls, but a bruise or a graze of the skin was the worst consequence that had ensued.
He shut his fist and hit Butterface a weak but well intended right-hander on the nose.The Giant of the North|R.M. Ballantyne
One of the men seemed pretty bad, being hit in the head and in the body.Gallipoli Diary, Volume I|Ian Hamilton
You never know when you are going to stumble upon a jewel in the most out-of-the-way corner.Music-Study in Germany|Amy Fay
British Dictionary definitions for cycle
- a set of operations that can be both treated and repeated as a unit
- the time required to complete a set of operations
- one oscillation of the regular voltage waveform used to synchronize processes in a digital computer