- the psychological and social qualities that characterize humankind, especially in contrast with other living things.
- Sociology. the character of human conduct, generally regarded as produced by living in primary groups.
Origin of human nature
First recorded in 1735–45
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for human nature
We return to it again and again, and bless the memory of an author who contrives so well to reconcile us to human-nature.Sermons of Christmas Evans
Edwards inclined more toward the old Georgia type of human-nature sketch.A History of American Literature Since 1870
Fred Lewis Pattee
At present there is a tendency to investigate the human-nature aspects of the causes of the industrial conflict.Introduction to the Science of Sociology
Robert E. Park
- the qualities common to humanity
- ordinary human behaviour, esp considered as less than perfect
- sociol the unique elements that form a basic part of human life and distinguish it from other animal life
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012