- Jan [jan; Czech yahn] /dʒæn; Czech yɑn/. Huss, John.
- John,1369?–1415, Czech religious reformer and martyr.
Related Words for husheart, force, earnestness, essence, energy, gameness, bounce, dash, brio, grit, guts, character, breath, animation, complexion, enthusiasm, boldness, fire, ardor, backbone
Examples from the Web for hus
Historical Examples of hus
For faith and freedom he fought—the faith of Hus and the freedom of Bohemia.
With clasped hands, and in ringing tones, Hus begged in vain for a hearing.
He had studied the writings of Wycliffe and of Hus, and often appealed to Wycliffe in his works.
At the head of the procession was Hus himself, and Hus conducted the funeral.
What right, asked Hus, had the Pope to claim the "power of the keys?"
- Jan (jan). the Czech name of John HussSee Huss
- the flesh of the European dogfish, when used as food
Word Origin for huss
- John, Czech name Jan Hus. ?1372–1415, Bohemian religious reformer. Influenced by Wycliffe, he anticipated the Reformation in denouncing doctrines and abuses of the Church. His death at the stake precipitated the Hussite wars in Bohemia and Moravia