[hahy-per-pi-too-i-tuh-riz-uh m, -tyoo-]
- overactivity of the pituitary gland.
- a resultant condition, as giantism or acromegaly.
Origin of hyperpituitarism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- pathol overactivity of the pituitary gland, sometimes resulting in acromegaly or gigantism
- Pathologically excessive production of anterior pituitary hormones, especially somatotropin.
- The condition resulting from an excess of pituitary hormones, such as gigantism in children and acromegaly in adults.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.