- assumed by hypothesis; supposed: a hypothetical case.
- of, pertaining to, involving, or characterized by hypothesis: hypothetical reasoning.
- given to making hypotheses.
- (of a proposition) highly conjectural; not well supported by available evidence.
- (of a proposition or syllogism) conditional.
- a hypothetical situation, instance, etc.: The Secretary of Defense refused to discuss hypotheticals with the reporters.
Origin of hypothetical
Synonyms for hypotheticalSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for hypotheticalproblematic, speculative, vague, imaginary, theoretical, debatable, academic, suspect, contingent, casual, conditional, conjectural, disputable, doubtful, equivocal, indefinite, indeterminate, presumptive, putative, questionable
Examples from the Web for hypothetical
Contemporary Examples of hypothetical
Not because she disagrees with a hypothetical future president, or because she simply likes the robe.Justice Ginsburg Shouldn’t Quit Just Yet
December 1, 2014
It's a long trip, to be sure, illustrated here with the hypothetical slang "couch."
A hypothetical history of how words become part of the colloquial lexicon.
Really, that fear factor is an indictment of who we are—not an indictment of some hypothetical alien species.
But Jamelle,” asks a hypothetical objector, “How would we keep government spending in check?It's Time to Kill the Debt Limit
February 13, 2014
Historical Examples of hypothetical
In other words, the hypothetical cause is, so far, competent to produce effects similar to those of the real cause.
The great power of this principle of selection is not hypothetical.On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection
It was a hypothetical condition which he had never even considered.The Daffodil Mystery
This idea is le bien public, the hypothetical welfare of other people.War and Peace
And now to return to the hypothetical part of my conclusions.The Albert Gate Mystery
- having the nature of a hypothesis
- assumed or thought to exist
- logic another word for conditional (def. 4)
- existing only as an idea or concepta time machine is a hypothetical device
Word Origin and History for hypothetical
1580s, from Greek hypothetikos "pertaining to a hypothesis," from hypothesis (see hypothesis). Related: Hypothetically; hypothetic.