- the construction of an artificial opening from the ileum through the abdominal wall, permitting drainage of the contents of the small intestine.
- the opening so constructed.
Origin of ileostomy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the surgical formation of a permanent opening through the abdominal wall into the ileum
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Surgical construction of an artificial excretory opening through the abdominal wall into the ileum.
- The opening created by such a surgical procedure.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.