- something that happens or is regarded as happening; an occurrence, especially one of some importance.
- the outcome, issue, or result of anything: The venture had no successful event.
- something that occurs in a certain place during a particular interval of time.
- Physics. in relativity, an occurrence that is sharply localized at a single point in space and instant of time.Compare world point.
- Sports. any of the contests in a program made up of one sport or of a number of sports: The broad jump event followed the pole vault.
- in any event, regardless of what happens; in any case.Also at all events.
- in the event of, if there should be: In the event of rain, the party will be held indoors.
- in the event that, if it should happen that; in case: In the event that I can't come back by seven, you can eat without me.
Origin of event
1560–70; < Latin ēventus occurrence, outcome, equivalent to ēven(īre) to occur, come out + -tus suffix of v. action
SynonymsSee more synonyms for event on Thesaurus.com
1. happening, affair, case, circumstance. Event, episode, incident, occurrence are terms for a happening. An event is usually an important happening: historical events. An episode is one of a series of happenings in a person's life or in a narrative: an episode in one's life. An incident is an event of usually minor importance: an amusing incident in a play. An occurrence is something that happens, often by surprise: His arrival was an unexpected occurrence. 2. consequence.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- anything that takes place or happens, esp something important; happening; incident
- the actual or final outcome; result (esp in the phrases in the event, after the event)
- any one contest in a programme of sporting or other conteststhe high jump is his event
- an occurrence regarded as a bare instant of space-time as contrasted with an object which fills space and has endurance
- an occurrence regarded in isolation from, or contrasted with, human agencyCompare act (def. 8)
- in any event or at all events regardless of circumstances; in any case
- in the event of in case of; if (such a thing) happensin the event of rain the race will be cancelled
- in the event that if it should happen that
- to take part or ride (a horse) in eventing
C16: from Latin ēventus a happening, from ēvenīre to come forth, happen, from venīre to come
Word Origin and History for in the event of
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with in the event of
in the event of
Also, in the event that. See under in case, def. 2.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.