verb (used with object), named, nam·ing.
PRACTICE SOME ESCAPISM WITH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for name
- personally; individually: She was always careful to address every employee by name.
- not personally; by repute: I know him by name only.
- with appeal to: In the name of mercy, stop that screaming!
- by the authority of: Open, in the name of the law!
- on behalf of: to purchase something in the name of another.
- under the name or possession of: money deposited in the name of a son.
- under the designation or excuse of: murder in the name of justice.
Origin of name
SYNONYMS FOR name
OTHER WORDS FROM name
Words nearby name
British Dictionary definitions for in the name of
- a famous person or thinga name in the advertising world
- mainly US and Canadian (as modifier)a name product
- for the sake of
- by the sanction or authority of
- anything that is essential, significant, or important
- expected or normal conditions, circumstances, etcin gambling, losing money's the name of the game
Derived forms of namenamable or nameable, adjective
Word Origin for name
Idioms and Phrases with in the name of (1 of 2)
By the authority of, as in Open up, in the name of the law! [Late 1300s]
On behalf of, as in She made a donation in her daughter's name. [Late 1300s]
in God's or heaven's name; in the name of God or heaven. With appeal to, as in In the name of God, stop that noise! or What in heaven's name are you doing? [c. a.d. 900]
Under the designation of, as in They burned witches at the stake in the name of piety. [Late 1300s]
Under the possession or ownership of, as in The certificate of ownership was rightfully in my name. [Mid-1900s]
in one's own name. On one's own behalf, as in Mary signed the check for John in her own name. [Late 1800s]
Idioms and Phrases with in the name of (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with name
- name after
- name is mud, one's
- name names
- name of the game, the
- name the day
- call names
- clear one's name
- drop names
- give a bad name
- go by (the name of)
- handle to one's name
- in name only
- in the name of
- make a name for oneself
- on a first-name basis
- take someone's name in vain
- to one's name
- worthy of the name
- you name it