- the customers served by each registered representative in a brokerage house.
- a loose-leaf binder kept by a specialist to record orders to buy and sell stock at specified prices.
- a set of rules, conventions, or standards: The solution was not according to the book but it served the purpose.
- the telephone book: I've looked him up, but he's not in the book.
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
- to study hard, as a student before an exam: He left the party early to book.
- to leave; depart: I'm bored with this party, let's book.
- to work as a bookmaker: He started a restaurant with money he got from booking.
- to accept or place the bets of others, as on horse races, especially as a business.
- to wager; bet: You can make book on it that he won't arrive in time.
- to sentence (an offender, lawbreaker, etc.) to the maximum penalties for all charges against that person.
- to punish or chide severely.
- from memory.
- without authority: to punish without book.
Origin of book
British Dictionary definitions for in one's book
- a written work or composition, such as a novel, technical manual, or dictionary
- (as modifier)the book trade; book reviews
- (in combination)bookseller; bookshop; bookshelf; bookrack
- enrolled as a member
- registered or recorded
- to charge with every relevant offence
- to inflict the most severe punishment on
Word Origin for book
Idioms and Phrases with in one's book (1 of 2)
in one's book
According to one's opinion or way of thinking. For example, In my book he's a wonderful father. This expression alludes to a book containing a personal list of some kind. [Slang; mid-1900s] Also see black book.
Idioms and Phrases with in one's book (2 of 2)
see balance the books; black book; bring to book; by the book; closed book; close the books; cook the books; crack a book; hit the books; in one's book; in someone's bad graces (books); judge a book by its cover; know like a book; make book; nose in a book; one for the books; open book; take a leaf out of someone's book; throw the book at; wrote the book on.