- not definite; without fixed or specified limit; unlimited: an indefinite number.
- not clearly defined or determined; not precise or exact: an indefinite boundary; an indefinite date in the future.
- very numerous or not easily counted, as stamens.
- (of an inflorescence) indeterminate.
Origin of indefinite
Synonyms for indefiniteSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for indefinite
Examples from the Web for indefinitely
Contemporary Examples of indefinitely
The NFL scrambled on damage control, initially suspending Rice for two games and then suspending him indefinitely.Don’t Blame The NFL And Colleges For Mishandling Assault Cases
September 19, 2014
The Baltimore Raven was indefinitely suspended but even one of his teammates suited up after punching a girlfriend in the neck.The NFL Is Full of Ray Rices
September 9, 2014
Seemingly a microsecond later, the word came down that the NFL was suspending him indefinitely.How Could the NFL Not Know About the Brutal Second Ray Rice Tape?
September 8, 2014
Many agents remained in occupied Europe indefinitely, for there was literally no end to the work that needed to be done.The Gestapo Still Sets the Bar for Evil
James A. Warren
July 13, 2014
Goldwyn's penchant for playing powerful white guys who can't keep it in their pants should keep him indefinitely employed.Ke$ha Leaves Rehab, Miley Cyrus Poses With Sex Toy
March 7, 2014
Historical Examples of indefinitely
He should survive, even if the event were indefinitely postponed.Quaint Courtships
Then I wished that dinner might go on indefinitely like the tea party of the Mad Hatter.It Happened in Egypt
C. N. Williamson
The gentleman did not know his name, and could but indefinitely describe his person.Self-Help
Society is based on the family, and the clever wastrel can exploit this indefinitely.Howards End
E. M. Forster
He asked if we intended remaining at Bancroft's indefinitely.Kent Knowles: Quahaug
Joseph C. Lincoln
- without any limit of time or number
- not certain or determined; unsettled
- without exact limits; indeterminatean indefinite number
- vague, evasive, or unclear
- Also: indeterminate botany
- too numerous to countindefinite stamens
- capable of continued growth at the tip of the stem, which does not terminate in a floweran indefinite inflorescence