- a quinonimine derivative that is the parent substance of the blue and green indophenol dyes.
- any derivative of this compound.
- any of various related dyes.
Origin of indophenol
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a derivative of quinonimine. Formula: HOC 6 H 4 NC 6 H 4 O
- any of a class of derivatives of this compound, esp one of the blue or green dyes that are used for wool and cotton
Word Origin for indophenol
C19: from indigo + phenol
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012