- not eligible; not permitted or suitable: Employees are ineligible in this contest.
- legally disqualified to hold an office.
- legally disqualified to function as a juror, voter, witness, etc., or to become the recipient of a privilege.
- a person who is ineligible, as a suitor or team member.
Origin of ineligible
Synonyms for ineligibleSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for ineligibilityelimination, exclusion, awkwardness, ineptitude, lack, incapacity, clumsiness, incompetency, incompetence, debarment, ineligibility, incapacitation
Examples from the Web for ineligibility
Historical Examples of ineligibility
Laughing, he joined in the honest fellow's regret at his ineligibility to take rank as a guest in the neighborhood.A Virginia Cousin & Bar Harbor Tales
Mrs Burton Harrison
Is it for a disqualification or ineligibility of like legal character arising since my election?The True Story of my Parliamentary Struggle
Woman first rendered ineligible to the priesthood, was then punished for this ineligibility.Woman, Church & State
Matilda Joslyn Gage
How quickly by a word can the hero reveal himself, thus discarding his masquerade of ineligibility and doubling the romance!Rolling Stones
“My dear, you should know better than to suggest that the ineligibility of any man is obvious,” said Mrs. Thrale.A Nest of Linnets
Frank Frankfort Moore
- (often foll by for or an infinitive) not fit or qualifiedineligible for a grant; ineligible to vote
- an ineligible person