- not harmful or injurious; harmless: an innocuous home remedy.
- not likely to irritate or offend; inoffensive; an innocuous remark.
- not interesting, stimulating, or significant; pallid; insipid: an innocuous novel.
Origin of innocuous
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- having little or no adverse or harmful effect; harmless
C16: from Latin innocuus harmless, from in- 1 + nocēre to harm
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for innocuity
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Having no adverse effect; harmless.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.