[in-stuh n-tey-nee-uh s]
Origin of instantaneous
SynonymsSee more synonyms for instantaneous on Thesaurus.com
1. immediate, sudden, abrupt.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for instantaneity
- occurring with almost no delay; immediate
- happening or completed within a momentinstantaneous death
- occurring at or associated with a particular instant
- equal to the limit of the average value of a given variable as the time interval over which the variable is considered approaches zeroinstantaneous velocity
Word Origin and History for instantaneity
1640s (implied in instantaneously), formed in English from Medieval Latin *instantaneus, from instantem (see instant (n.)) on model of spontaneous. Related: Instantaneousness.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper