- used or shared in common by everyone in a group: a communal jug of wine.
- of, by, or belonging to the people of a community; shared or participated in by the public: communal land; Building the playground was a communal project.
- pertaining to a commune or a community: communal life.
- engaged in by or involving two or more communities: communal conflict.
Origin of communal
Synonyms for communal
Examples from the Web for intercommunal
Historical Examples of intercommunal
We also welcomed the resumption of the intercommunal talks on Cyprus.
The principal industries are brigandage, piracy, slave-raiding, cattle-rustling and intercommunal warfare.Time Crime
H. Beam Piper
- belonging or relating to a community as a whole
- relating to different groups within a societycommunal strife
- of or relating to a commune or a religious community
1811 in reference to communes; 1843 in reference to communities, from French communal (Old French comunal, 12c.), from Late Latin communalis, from communa (see commune (n.)).