- pertaining to muscles, parts, or intervals between the ribs.
- situated between the ribs.
- Shipbuilding. noting a structural member situated between or divided by continuous members, as frames or keelsons.
- an intercostal muscle, member, or space.
Origin of intercostal
Examples from the Web for intercostal
Historical Examples of intercostal
This is a form of rheumatism that affects the intercostal muscles; that is, the muscles between the ribs.
Wounding of the intercostal artery is avoided by inserting the instrument as near as possible to the anterior edge of the rib.
Ao, The aorta transversely divided, giving off at each side an intercostal artery.
The branches of the aorta which supply the walls of the thorax, abdomen and pelvis, are the intercostal, the Parietal branches.
The intercostal arteries arise from the back of the thoracic aorta, and are usually nine pairs.
- anatomy between the ribsintercostal muscles
Word Origin for intercostal
- Located or occurring between the ribs.
- A space, muscle, or part situated between the ribs.