- the state or condition of being an intern.
- the period during which a person serves as an intern.
- any official or formal program to provide practical experience for beginners in an occupation or profession: an internship for management trainees.
- a position as a participant in such a program: She has accepted an internship in a law firm.
- any period of time during which a beginner acquires experience in an occupation, profession, or pursuit: She had a long internship before starting her own recording studio.
Origin of internship
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for internship
The organization also offers an internship program for college students seeking work experience in the LGBT community.How You Can Help Make a More LGBT-Friendly World
December 12, 2014
He was 19, and managed to snag a summer internship with New Line Cinema.‘Mockingjay’s’ Mastermind: Francis Lawrence on the Book vs. Movie, ISIS Parallels, and More
November 23, 2014
At the end of his internship, the Davis County School District decided to hire him.Hiring People With Disabilities Isn’t Just the Right Thing to Do—It’s Good for Business
October 27, 2014
As a student she took an internship in New York with Sonia Sotomayor, who would later join the Supreme Court.Can Amal Clooney Save Greece’s Antiquities?
October 15, 2014
Luckily for the Harvard grad, it was his last week at the internship.The Intern Who Birthed The KAL007 Conspiracy Theories
September 8, 2014
I'm going into a small Minnesota hospital to finish my internship.
If he wishes to specialize, his internship may last for two years, and his residency period from three to four years.Careers in Atomic Energy
I took my internship at the Philadelphia General Hospital, 1953 and 1954.Warren Commission (6 of 26): Hearings Vol. VI (of 15)
The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
Damn it, do you think I want him fired and sent back to Earth before his internship's up?No Charge for Alterations
Horace Leonard Gold
You spent weeks convincing me I ought to carry through with my internship and establish a practice.
- mainly US and Canadian the position of being an intern or the period during which a person is an intern
Word Origin and History for internship
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper