- observation or examination of one's own mental and emotional state, mental processes, etc.; the act of looking within oneself.
- the tendency or disposition to do this.
- sympathetic introspection.
Origin of introspection
SynonymsSee more synonyms for introspection on Thesaurus.com
1. self-examination, soul-searching.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the examination of one's own thoughts, impressions, and feelings, esp for long periods
C17: from Latin intrōspicere to look within, from intro- + specere to look
Word Origin and History for introspectionist
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Contemplation of one's own thoughts, feelings, and sensations; self-examination.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.