- to become changed into the form of ions, as by dissolving.
Also especially British, i·on·ise.
Origin of ionize
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to change or become changed into ions
Word Origin and History for ionise
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- To dissociate atoms or molecules into electrically charged atoms or radicals.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- To give an atom or group of atoms a net electric charge by adding or removing one or more electrons.
- To form ions in a substance. Lightning ionizes air, for example.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.