- a small hawk, Buteo solitarius, having two plumage phases and occurring only on the island of Hawaii, where it is a rare species and the only living indigenous bird of prey.
Origin of io
- Classical Mythology. a woman who, being loved by Zeus, was transformed into a white heifer and was, at the wish of Hera, first guarded by Argus and later pursued through the world by a gadfly until she reached Egypt, where she resumed her true shape: identified by the Egyptians with Isis.
- Astronomy. a large volcanically active moon of the planet Jupiter.
Examples from the Web for ios
The uber-entrepreneur—and recent Mrs. Kanye West—released a new app for iOS and Android users this week.Inside ‘Kim Kardashian: Hollywood’: The Reality Star’s Aspirational App and Vainest Project Yet
June 23, 2014
(Free for four games or full subscription for $13 a month or $120; available for iOS) 3.
(Free for limited access, upgrade for $15 a month or $80 a year; available for iOS) 2.
The most recent example would be Happy Play Time, an iOS game designed to “eliminate the stigma around female masturbation.”Silicon Valley’s Soft Sex Ban
May 29, 2014
Meet ChoiceMap, an iOS app that claims to help people make better decisions.ChoiceMap: An App to Help You Make Better Decisions
January 22, 2014
Ios eyes dilated; a moment he was serious, then he burst out laughing.The Fair God
Hearing this, it is said, he hesitated to go to Ios, and remained in the region where he was.Hesiod, The Homeric Hymns, and Homerica
Homer and Hesiod
The name Ios resembles that of the Greek word for violet, (ίον).Plutarch's Lives Volume III.
The oak woods of Ceos (Ze) and Ios furnish considerable supplies of valonia.
On his way to Thebes, Homer landed at Ios, where he saw some young fishermen on the shore with their nets.Petrarch's Letters to Classical Authors
- British Indian Ocean Territory
- Greek myth a maiden loved by Zeus and turned into a white heifer by either Zeus or Hera
- the innermost of the four Galilean satellites of Jupiter, displaying intense volcanic activity. Diameter: 3640 km; orbital radius: 422 000 km
Word Origin and History for ios
in Greek mythology, daughter of the river god Inachus, she was pursued by Zeus and consequently changed into a heifer. The Jovian moon was discovered in 1610 and named for her by Galileo.
- One of the four brightest satellites of Jupiter and the fifth in distance from the planet. It was first sighted by Galileo. See Note at moon.