Words nearby ironing
Definition for ironing (2 of 2)
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
- to iron or press (an item of clothing or the like).
- to remove (wrinkles) from by ironing.
- to resolve or clear up (difficulties, disagreements, etc.): The problem was ironed out months ago.
Origin of iron
OTHER WORDS FROM ironi·ron·less, adjectivei·ron·like, adjectiveun·i·roned, adjectivewell-i·roned, adjective
Example sentences from the Web for ironing
The view from Court Two at the Tennis Club de Paris was of ironing boards and models dressing for the Céline show on Sunday.
She also mentioned that they had used their ironing board as a table.Best Lines From the GOP Convention: Christie, McCain & More (Videos)|Caitlin Dickson, Laura Colarusso|August 31, 2012|DAILY BEAST
I can still see her standing for endless hours at the ironing board steaming and reading simultaneously (and smoking).
On Tuesday morning it is also well to get an early start in order to make a good beginning on the ironing.The Expert Maid-Servant|Cristine Terhune Herrick
You have done a very serious thing; you have imperiled the safety of the ship and laid yourself liable to arrest and ironing.The Iron Boys on the Ore Boats|James R. Mears
Tell them you want a good one, who understands washing and ironing and all about cooking.Fred Fearnot's New Ranch|Hal Standish
Another had slipped from her neck and was hanging on the corner of the ironing board.Barbara Blomberg, Complete|Georg Ebers
It was her pleasure to take a moment between batches of ironing to enjoy the street and take pride in her own stretch of sidewalk.L'Assommoir|Emile Zola
British Dictionary definitions for ironing (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for ironing (2 of 2)
- a malleable ductile silvery-white ferromagnetic metallic element occurring principally in haematite and magnetite. It is widely used for structural and engineering purposes. Symbol: Fe; atomic no: 26; atomic wt: 55.847; valency: 2,3,4, or 6; relative density: 7.874; melting pt: 1538°C; boiling pt: 2862°CSee also steel, cast iron, wrought iron, pig iron Related adjectives: ferric, ferrous Related prefix: ferro-
- (as modifier)iron railings
Derived forms of ironironer, nounironless, adjectiveironlike, adjective
Word Origin for iron
Medical definitions for ironing
Scientific definitions for ironing
Idioms and Phrases with ironing
In addition to the idioms beginning with iron
- iron hand
- iron out
- irons in the fire, too many
- pump iron
- strike while the iron's hot