- not reducible; incapable of being reduced or of being diminished or simplified further: the irreducible minimum.
- incapable of being brought into a different condition or form.
- of or relating to a polynomial that cannot be factored.
- of or relating to a group that cannot be written as the direct product of two of its subgroups.
Origin of irreducible
Related Words for irreducibleexclusive, clear, remaining, final, excluding, pure, irreducible, undeductible
Examples from the Web for irreducible
Historical Examples of irreducible
The one-third of the French law seemed to be the irreducible minimum.Notes on Life and Letters
For all that, we trust that the irreducible minimum has now been reached.
We know that this form of association is not primary and irreducible.Essay on the Creative Imagination
The art of building bungalows is reduced in California to the irreducible.Across America by Motor-cycle
C. K. Shepherd
It is an irreducible minimum in connection with the Reward System.A Rational Wages System
- not able to be reduced or lessened
- not able to be brought to a simpler or reduced form
- (of a polynomial) unable to be factorized into polynomials of lower degree, as (x ² + 1)
- (of a radical) incapable of being reduced to a rational expression, as √(x + 1)
- Impossible to reduce to a desired, simpler, or smaller form or amount.
- Incapable of being made chemically simpler, or of being replaced, hydrogenated, or reduced in positive charge.