- said, done, or characterized by a lack of a sense of responsibility: His refusal to work shows him to be completely irresponsible.
- not capable of or qualified for responsibility, as due to age, circumstances, or a mental deficiency.
- not responsible, answerable, or accountable to higher authority: irresponsible as a monarch.
- an irresponsible person.
Origin of irresponsible
Synonyms for irresponsibleSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for irresponsibilitiesmadness, craziness, absurdity, folly, frenzy, alienation, dementia, lunacy, hysteria, irresponsibility, confusion, disorder, chaos, terrorism, irrationality, silliness, bunk, insanity, stupidity, rubbish
Examples from the Web for irresponsibilities
Historical Examples of irresponsibilities
Her old freaks, if hinted at, were considered amusing, as one of the irresponsibilities of genius.Mrs. Severn, Vol. 1 (of 3)
Mary Elizabeth Carter
Fletcher certainly "loosed the bonds of conduct and left human nature as a mere bundle of irresponsibilities," but not Beaumont.Francis Beaumont: Dramatist
Charles Mills Gayley
- not showing or done with due care for the consequences of one's actions or attitudes; reckless
- not capable of bearing responsibility
- archaic not answerable to a higher authority for one's actions