- Meteorology. a line on a weather map or chart connecting points having equal temperature.
- Also called isothermal line. Physics. a curve on which every point represents the same temperature.
Origin of isotherm
First recorded in 1855–60; back formation from isothermal
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a line on a map linking places of equal temperature
- physics a curve on a graph that connects points of equal temperature
Also called: isothermal, isothermal line
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for isothermal-line
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A line drawn on a weather map connecting points that have the same temperature. Each point can mark one temperature reading or an average of several readings.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.