- a son of Jacob and Leah. Gen. 30:18.
- one of the 12 tribes of Israel.
Examples from the Web for issachar
Historical Examples of issachar
Issachar, who was putting coal on the office fire, turned his head.
He held out his hand, and Issachar, after a momentary hesitation, took it.
I kind of hate to be left here alone with nobody but Issachar to lean on.
And Issachar's expression and bearings were wonderful to see.
You remember Issachar was likened to an ass between two burdens.
- the fifth son of Jacob by his wife Leah (Genesis 30:17–18)
- the tribe descended from this patriarch
- the territory of this tribe
son of Jacob by Leah (Old Testament), name of a biblical tribe of Israel, from Greek issakhar, from Hebrew Yissakhar, probably [Klein] from yesh sakhar "there is a reward" (cf. Gen. xxx:18).