- a personal or emotional problem: I had issues that prevented me from doing well in school.
- any problem or difficulty: Sorry I'm late—I had an issue with parking.
- a discharge of blood, pus, or the like.
- an incision, ulcer, or the like, emitting such a discharge.
verb (used with object), is·sued, is·su·ing.
verb (used without object), is·sued, is·su·ing.
DON’T VACILLATE! VANQUISH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for issue
- being disputed or under discussion.
- being at opposite viewpoints; in disagreement: Medical experts are still at issue over the proper use of tranquilizers.
- to enter into controversy or take exception to.
- to submit an issue jointly for legal decision.
Origin of issue
SYNONYMS FOR issue
synonym study for issue
OTHER WORDS FROM issue
Words nearby issue
Example sentences from the Web for issue
The issue is not just bugs — some apps and features won’t work at all.Apple just released the first iOS 14 beta to everyone|Romain Dillet|July 9, 2020|TechCrunch
Today we have people talking about the issues in ways that seemed far-fetched just a few weeks ago.How “abolish ICE” helped bring abolitionist ideas into the mainstream|Nicole Narea|July 9, 2020|Vox
By the end of the day, the stock had jumped 924% from the issue price.A tech firm just recorded the largest first-day jump of any Chinese IPO—924%|Naomi Xu Elegant|July 9, 2020|Fortune
This restaurant had its issues, but during the two years I worked there, diversity was not one of them.I’m Through Being Silent About the Restaurant Industry’s Racism|Lauren Allen|July 8, 2020|Eater
The second problem speaks to a deeper, more psychological issue.America Is Testing For COVID-19 More Than Ever — And It Still Isn’t Enough|Kaleigh Rogers (email@example.com)|July 8, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
British Dictionary definitions for issue
- a suppurating sore
- discharge from a wound
- the system for recording current loans
- the number of books loaned in a specified period
- under discussion
- in disagreement
- to join in controversy
- to submit an issue for adjudication
verb -sues, -suing or -sued
- to give out or allocate (equipment, a certificate, etc) officially to someone
- (foll by with) to supply officially (with)
Derived forms of issueissueless, adjectiveissuer, noun
Word Origin for issue
Medical definitions for issue
Idioms and Phrases with issue
see at issue; take issue with.