- of or relating to an isthmus.
- (initial capital letter) of or relating to the Isthmus of Corinth or the Isthmus of Panama.
- a native or inhabitant of an isthmus.
Origin of isthmian
Examples from the Web for isthmian
Historical Examples of isthmian
The Isthmian games in honour of Neptune were also the invention of Theseus.Athens: Its Rise and Fall, Complete
Milo the invincible, victor at Pisa, and in the Pythian and Isthmian combats.An Egyptian Princess, Complete
He boarded this, and gave the captain a letter for the authorities of the isthmian port.Sea-Dogs All!
In the Isthmiazusae two ladies described the spectacle of the Isthmian games.Theocritus, Bion and Moschus
Slight differences only are observable in the Isthmian physique.The Works of Hubert Howe Bancroft, Volume 1
Hubert Howe Bancroft
- relating to or situated in an isthmus
- relating to or situated in the Isthmus of Corinth or the Isthmus of Panama
Word Origin and History for isthmian
c.1600, from Latin isthmius, from Greek isthmios, from isthmos (see isthmus).