- having two faces, one looking forward, one looking backward, as the Roman deity Janus.
- having two contrasting aspects, as the alternation of mood in a capricious person.
- two-faced; deceitful.
- aware of or concerned with polarities; seeing different and contrasting aspects: a Janus-faced view of history.
- having or containing contrasting characteristics: a Janus-faced policy.
Origin of Janus-faced
First recorded in 1675–85
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- two-faced; hypocritical; deceitful