[jap-uh-neez, -nees]See more synonyms for Japanese on Thesaurus.com
- of, relating to, or characteristic of Japan, its people, or their language.
Related formsan·ti-Jap·a·nese, adjective, noun, plural an·ti-Jap·a·nese.non-Jap·an·ese, adjective, noun, plural non-Jap·an·ese.pro-Jap·a·nese, adjective, noun, plural pro-Jap·a·nese.pseu·do-Jap·a·nese, adjective, noun, plural pseu·do-Jap·a·nese.qua·si-Jap·a·nese, adjective
- a native or inhabitant of Japan.
- a person of Japanese ancestry.
- the language of Japan. Abbreviation: Japn., Japn
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
British Dictionary definitions for japanese's
- of, relating to, or characteristic of Japan, its people, or their language
- plural -nese a native or inhabitant of Japan or a descendant of one
- the official language of Japan: the native language of approximately 100 million people: considered by some scholars to be part of the Altaic family of languages
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for japanese's
1580s, Iapones; see Japan + -ese. Japanese beetle attested from 1919, accidentally introduced in U.S. 1916 in larval stage in a shipment of Japanese iris.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper