- a king of Israel noted for his furious chariot attacks. II Kings 9.
- (lowercase) a fast driver.
- (lowercase) the driver of a cab or coach.
Examples from the Web for jehu
Historical Examples of jehu
"Jehu, the son of Nimshi," could not have done the distance in five minutes less.Glances at Europe
I had only to pay the Jehu; he would obey me, of course, and right willingly.
I applied myself to the sable Jehu of the barouche, but with no better success.
Like the driving of Jehu, the son of Nimshi: for he driveth furiously.Familiar Quotations
So Jehu said, "If it is your will, let no one escape from the city to bring news to Jezreel."The Children's Bible
Henry A. Sherman
- Old Testament the king of Israel (?842–?815 bc); the slayer of Jezebel (II Kings 9:11–30)
- a fast driver, esp one who is reckless (from the phrase to drive like Jehu . II Kings 9:20)
"fast, skillful driver," 1680s, from Jehu, a king of Israel in the Old Testament, who "driveth furiously" (II Kings ix:20).