or Chi·nan, Tsi·nan
- a city in and the capital of Shandong province, in E China.
- a maritime province in E China. 59,189 sq. mi. (153,299 sq. km). Capital: Jinan.
- a peninsula in the E part of this province, extending into the Yellow Sea.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for jinan
Historical Examples of jinan
A—— has a little house close to Jinan Dolero, and occupies himself with his garden outside the city.
It would have been unwise to stay out after sunset, and that time always saw us back at Jinan Dolero.
Chinan or Tsinan
- an industrial city in NE China, capital of Shandong province; probably over 3000 years old. Pop: 2 654 000 (2005 est)
- a province of NE China, on the Yellow Sea and the Gulf of Chihli: part of the earliest organized state of China (1520–1030 bc); consists chiefly of the fertile plain of the lower Yellow River, with mountains over 1500 m (5000 ft) high in the centre. Capital: Jinan. Pop: 91 250 000 (2003 est). Area: 153 300 sq km (59 189 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012