CAN YOU FEEL THE WEAL WITH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ?
OTHER WORDS FROM jointedjoint·ed·ly, adverbjoint·ed·ness, nounun·joint·ed, adjective
Words nearby jointed
Definition for jointed (2 of 2)
- the movable or fixed place or part where two bones or elements of a skeleton join.
- the form or structure of such a part, as a ball-and-socket, hinge, pivot, etc.
- a dirty, cheap, or disreputable place of public accommodation or entertainment, especially a restaurant or nightclub.
- a place or establishment, as a hotel, restaurant, etc.: We stayed in a very classy joint near the ocean.
- a part, especially of a plant, insect, etc., connected with another part by an articulation, node, or the like.
- a portion between two articulations, nodes, or the like.
verb (used with object)
- to prepare (a board or the like) for fitting in a joint.
- to true the bottom of (a wooden plane body) to allow even movement along the surface of the work.
verb (used without object)
Origin of joint
OTHER WORDS FROM jointsub·joint, noun
Example sentences from the Web for jointed
Before her pregnancy, Mantel said, the Duchess of Cambridge had been seen as “a jointed doll on which certain rags are hung”.'Jointed Doll' Kate Middleton a Plastic Princess, Says Mantel|Tom Sykes|February 19, 2013|DAILY BEAST
A common name given to shells of the genus Chiton, on account of their resemblance to jointed armour.A Conchological Manual|George Brettingham Sowerby
The use of joints becomes a necessity, and we find that all active terrestrial animals, except snakes, have jointed limbs.Zoology: The Science of Animal Life|Ernest Ingersoll
The attacker's abdomen curved beneath its own body; the stinger jabbed between two segments of the prey's jointed length.They Twinkled Like Jewels|Philip Jos Farmer
British Dictionary definitions for jointed (1 of 2)
- having a joint or joints
- (in combination)large-jointed
Derived forms of jointedjointedly, adverbjointedness, noun
British Dictionary definitions for jointed (2 of 2)
- a disreputable establishment, such as a bar or nightclub
- often facetious a dwelling or meeting place
- out of order or disorganized
Derived forms of jointjointly, adverb
Medical definitions for jointed
Scientific definitions for jointed
Idioms and Phrases with jointed
see nose out of joint; out of joint.