- an island in the SW Philippines: the main island of the Sulu Archipelago. 345 sq. mi. (894 sq. km).
- a seaport on this island.
- an island group in the SW Philippines, separating the Sulawesi Sea from the Sulu Sea. 1086 sq. mi. (2813 sq. km). Capital: Jolo.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for jolo
The Moro schools at Jolo and at Zamboanga have been failures.The Great White Tribe in Filipinia
Paul T. Gilbert
Major Sweet was in command of the post at Jolo for some time.
They could be seen on the hills around Jolo with torches moving about all night.
The Sultan of Jolo was fortified about ten miles across the mountains from Jolo.
The transport Warren came to Jolo for the battalion on June 15th.
- an island in the SW Philippines: the main island of the Sulu Archipelago. Pop: 87 998 (2000). Area: 893 sq km (345 sq miles)
- a chain of over 500 islands in the SW Philippines, separating the Sulu Sea from the Celebes Sea: formerly a sultanate, ceded to the Philippines in 1940. Capital: Jolo. Pop: 619 668 (2000). Area: 2686 sq km (1037 sq miles)