or joy stick
- Informal. the control stick of an airplane, tank, or other vehicle.
- Computers. a lever resembling this, used to control movement of a cursor or other graphic element for video games and computer graphics.Compare mouse(def 4), stylus(def 3).
- any leverlike switch for controlling, manipulating, guiding, or the like.
Origin of joystick
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for joy-stick
He leapt lightly into the machine and jiggled the joy-stick.Tam O' The Scoots
"Good-bye, sir," replied Dastral, his hand already on the joy-stick.
A girl sat at the joy-stick looking as if carved out of wood.The White Morning
At two thousand feet Dastral pushed back the joy-stick, and flattened out.
These ailerons, wing sections, really, are controlled by a device known as the joy-stick in the cockpit.Opportunities in Aviation
- informal the control stick of an aircraft or of any of various machines
- computing a lever by means of which the display on a screen may be controlled used esp for games, flight simulators, etc
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for joy-stick
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper