- a seaport in and the capital of Alaska, in the SE part.
- a state of the United States in NW North America. 586,400 sq. mi. (1,519,000 sq. km). Capital: Juneau. Abbreviation: AK (for use with zip code), Alas.
- Gulf of, a gulf of the Pacific, on the coast of S Alaska.
Examples from the Web for juneau
When: July 18-19 Getting there: There are daily flights to Cordova from both Anchorage and Seattle (via Juneau).America’s Best Summer Food Festivals
July 5, 2014
Carpe Per Diem Am I supposed to be charging meals While I am away from Juneau?
And the old, used tanning bed That my girls have used A handful of times In Juneau?
In the mansion and/or The Juneau office And no one has said Boo About it. '
On Thursday he held a press conference in Juneau claiming there had been voter intimidation and fraud during the race.Miller's Lawyers Call It Quits
November 12, 2010
When a man from Juneau speaks of Alaska he means the southeastern coast.Ten Thousand Miles with a Dog Sled
Then we went to the ball given by the ladies of Juneau in our honor.Over the Rocky Mountains to Alaska
Charles Warren Stoddard
My mail had been forwarded to me from Seattle to Juneau, but there was no word from my parents.The Blue Birds' Winter Nest
Lillian Elizabeth Roy
Didn't I tell you that we'll git all that's needed at Juneau or Dyea or some point on the road?Klondike Nuggets
E. S. Ellis
Juneau, Dyea, as well as Skagway itself, were said to be almost deserted.The Trail of the Goldseekers
- a port in SE Alaska: state capital. Pop: 31 187 (2003 est)
- the largest state of the US, in the extreme northwest of North America: the aboriginal inhabitants are Inuit and Yupik; the earliest White settlements were made by the Russians; it was purchased by the US from Russia in 1867. It is mostly mountainous and volcanic, rising over 6000 m (20 000 ft), with the Yukon basin in the central region; large areas are covered by tundra; it has important mineral resources (chiefly coal, oil, and natural gas). Capital: Juneau. Pop: 648 818 (2003 est). Area: 1 530 694 sq km (591 004 sq miles)Abbreviation: Alas, (with zip code) AK
- Gulf of Alaska the N part of the Pacific, between the Alaska Peninsula and the Alexander Archipelago
Word Origin and History for juneau
city in Alaska, settled 1881 and named for prospector Joe Juneau.
name first applied 18c. by Russian explorers, from Aleut alaxsxaq, literally "the object toward which the action of the sea is directed" [Bright]. Baked Alaska attested by 1896, so called either for its whiteness or from being cold inside.