[kuh-ree-lee-uh n, -reel-yuh n]
- of or relating to Karelia, its people, or their language.
- a native or inhabitant of Karelia.
- the Uralic language of the Karelians, sometimes regarded as a dialect of Finnish.
Origin of Karelian
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for karelian
Historical Examples of karelian
She was brown-eyed and brown-haired, like her Karelian mother who belonged to the other decided type of Finn.Our Little Finnish Cousin
Clara Vostrovsky Winlow
- of or relating to Karelia, its people, or their language
- a native or inhabitant of Karelia
- the dialect of Finnish spoken in Karelia
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012