- one of the 12 apostles. Mark 3:18; John 1:43–48; 6:5–7.
- one of the leaders of the Christian Hellenists in the early church in Jerusalem who afterwards became an evangelist and missionary. Acts 6; 8:26–40.
- KingMetacomet, died 1676, North American Indian chief: sachem of the Wampanoag tribe 1662–76; leader of the Indians in King Philip's War.
- Prince, Duke of Edinburgh,born 1921, consort of Elizabeth II.
- a male given name: from a Greek word meaning “lover of horses.”
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- New Testament
- one of the twelve apostles of Jesus
- Also: Philip the Evangelistone of the seven deacons appointed by the early Church
- Also: Philip the Tetrarchone of the sons of Herod the Great, who was ruler of part of former Judaea (4 bc –34 ad) (Luke 3:1)
- King, American Indian name Metacomet. died 1676, American Indian chief, the son of Massasoit. He waged King Philip's War against the colonists of New England (1675–76) and was killed in battle
- Prince. another name for the (Duke of): Edinburgh Prince. another name for the (Duke of) Edinburgh
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper