- requiring much work, exertion, or perseverance: a laborious undertaking.
- characterized by or requiring extreme care and much attention to detail: laborious research.
- characterized by or exhibiting excessive effort, dullness, and lack of spontaneity; labored: a strained, laborious plot.
- given to or diligent in work: a careful, laborious craftsman.
Origin of laborious
Synonyms for laboriousSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for laboriouslyeagerly, assiduously, painstakingly, energetically, hard, painfully, resolutely, vigorously, arduously, earnestly, industriously, steadily
Examples from the Web for laboriously
Contemporary Examples of laboriously
Hitch picks up his cane, pushes her aside, and laboriously tries to get to his feet, saying, “I'll do it myself.”Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days
December 13, 2014
An “overproduced, overblown, confusingly dark and laboriously ambitious jumble,” ruled Newsday.A ‘Wicked’ Decade: How a Critically Trashed Musical Became a Long-Running Smash
October 30, 2013
Historical Examples of laboriously
The parson had seated himself by the stove, and was laboriously removing his arctics.Tiverton Tales
He measured these round his waist, and then began to stitch them together, slowly and laboriously.Henry Dunbar
M. E. Braddon
He laboriously made out a document, which Banker as laboriously signed.Louisiana Lou
William West Winter
He found the ladder and laboriously dragged it beneath the window.Thankful's Inheritance
Joseph C. Lincoln
His dress has been laboriously genteel, but is torn and soiled.Dr. Sevier
George W. Cable
- involving great exertion or long effort
- given to working hard
- (of literary style, etc) not fluent
late 14c., "hard-working, industrious," from Old French laborios "arduous, wearisome; hard-working" (12c., Modern French laborieux), from Latin laboriosus "toilsome, wearisome, troublesome," from labor (see labor (n.)). Meaning "costing much labor, burdensome" is from early 15c.; meaning "resulting from hard work" is mid-15c. Related: Laboriousness.