- a city in NE Pakistan: the capital of Punjab province.
- a former province in NW British India: now divided between India and Pakistan.
- a state in NW India. 47,456 sq. mi. (122,911 sq. km). Capital: Chandigarh.
- a province in NE Pakistan. 19,445 sq. mi. (50,362 sq. km). Capital: Lahore.
Examples from the Web for lahore
Contemporary Examples of lahore
Early in 1999 Sharif invited then-Prime Minister Atal Vajpayee to Lahore to talk about reducing tensions.Indian and Pakistani Leaders Seek to End Their Cold War, but Will the ‘Deep State’ Allow Peace?
May 26, 2014
On the day after India and Pakistan go to war in 1971, his parents married in Lahore, “as fighter jets screeched overhead.”“Now we wonder why this has all gone so wrong.”
November 26, 2013
For example, Sharif has promised to build a bullet train from Karachi to Lahore without explaining how he would pay for it.Mamnoon Hussain: The New Man in Pakistan
July 30, 2013
Sharif, 63, was born into money as the scion of a very wealthy family in Lahore.Nawaz Sharif, Pakistan’s Comeback Kid
May 14, 2013
While not offering any concrete solutions, he told journalists in Lahore that his government would not tolerate drone attacks.Pakistan Votes in Historic Election
May 11, 2013
Historical Examples of lahore
That we shall be able in ten years' time to spend a week-end at Lahore?Monday or Tuesday
A similar progress has been made in wood-carving in the prison at Lahore.The Last Voyage
Lady (Annie Allnutt) Brassey
I decided, regretfully, to make a change in the command of the Lahore Division.1914
John French, Viscount of Ypres
Not Miss Kresney's transaction; nor the need of new dresses for Lahore.
"I am afraid this knocks the Lahore week on the head," he said at length.
- a city in NE Pakistan: capital of the former province of West Pakistan (1955–70); University of the Punjab (1882). Pop: 6 373 000 (2005 est)
- a variety of large domestic fancy pigeon having a black-and-white plumage
- (formerly) a province in NW British India: divided between India and Pakistan in 1947
- a state of NW India: reorganized in 1966 as a Punjabi-speaking state, a large part forming the new state of Haryana; mainly agricultural. Capital: Chandigarh. Pop: 24 289 296 (2001). Area: 50 255 sq km (19 403 sq miles)
- a province of W Pakistan: created in 1947. Capital: Lahore. Pop: 82 710 000 (2003 est). Area: 205 344 sq km (127 595 sq miles)
Word Origin and History for lahore
region on the Indian subcontinent, from Hindi Panjab, from Persian panj "five" (from PIE *penkwo-; see five) + ab "water." So called for its five rivers. Related: Punjabi.