- a city in and the capital of the canton of Geneva, in SW Switzerland, on the Lake of Geneva: seat of the League of Nations 1920–46.
- a canton in SW Switzerland. 109 sq. mi. (282 sq. km).
- Lake of. Also called Lake Leman. a lake between SW Switzerland and France. 45 miles (72 km) long; 225 sq. mi. (583 sq. km).
- a city in central New York.
- a female given name.
- a city in SW Switzerland, in the Rhône valley on Lake Geneva: centre of Calvinism; headquarters of the International Red Cross (1864), the International Labour Office (1925), the League of Nations (1929–46), the World Health Organization, and the European office of the United Nations; banking centre. Pop: 177 500 (2002 est)
- a canton in SW Switzerland. Capital: Geneva. Pop: 419 300 (2002 est). Area: 282 sq km (109 sq miles)French name: Genève German name: Genf
- Lake Geneva a lake between SW Switzerland and E France: fed and drained by the River Rhône, it is the largest of the Alpine lakes; the surface is subject to considerable changes of level. Area: 580 sq km (224 sq miles)French name: Lac Léman German name: Genfersee
city in Switzerland, from Latin Genava, perhaps from a PIE root meaning "estuary" or one meaning "bend;" in either case a reference to its situation. The city was the headquarters of the League of Nations from 1920. The original Geneva Convention to introduce humanitarian conduct in modern warfare dates from 1864; the most recent update was in 1949. The Geneva Protocol is a League of Nations document meant to settle international disputes; it dates from 1924. Earlier the city was associated with Calvinism. Meaning "gin" is from 1706 (see gin (n.1)).