- Robert,1864–1928, U.S. lawyer and statesman: secretary of state 1915–20.
- a city in and the capital of Michigan, in the S part.
- a city in NE Illinois, near Chicago.
- a state in the N central United States. 58,216 sq. mi. (150,780 sq. km). Capital: Lansing. Abbreviation: MI (for use with zip code), Mich.
- Lake, a lake in the N central U.S., between Wisconsin and Michigan: one of the five Great Lakes. 22,400 sq. mi. (58,015 sq. km).
- a card game of the stops family, for three to eight players.
Examples from the Web for lansing
Contemporary Examples of lansing
One of those iconic divers was Clen Sohn from Lansing, Michigan, who was one of the first wingsuit users all the way back in 1935.The High-Flying Secrets of BASE Jumpers
August 4, 2014
My first “job,” was working for the Gannett Company as a delivery boy for the Lansing State Journal at the age of 11.LinkedIn and the Internet’s New Organization Kids
August 21, 2013
Well, Detroit has been dying since the day I was born in a hospital in Lansing, Michigan, in 1967.Relax, We’re Not Detroit
July 29, 2013
I did my first job, as a delivery boy for the Lansing State Journal, in the late 1970s with the help of my 10-speed.Why Conservatives Should Love Bike Share
June 9, 2013
Even in Fatal Attraction, Lansing said that audiences always rooted for the horrible, cheating husband he played.The Troubled Douglas Dynasty
September 8, 2010
Historical Examples of lansing
When it came, Lansing was without on the platform, and Pinney was in the office.
When Flint was found dead, in the lack of any other clue, people thought of Lansing.
Lansing groaned at hearing this, but Mrs. Pinney comforted him.
The Amboy and Lansing Company are equally confident of success.Old Mackinaw
W. P. Strickland.
He watched the lanky civilian as Lansing puffed jerkily on his cigar.Criminal Negligence
Jesse Francis McComas
- a city in S Michigan, on the Grand River: the state capital. Pop: 118 379 (2003 est)
- the US name for newmarket (def. 2)
- a state of the N central US, occupying two peninsulas between Lakes Superior, Huron, Michigan, and Erie: generally low-lying. Capital: Lansing. Pop: 10 079 985 (2003 est). Area: 147 156 sq km (56 817 sq miles)Abbreviation: Mich, (with zip code) MI
- Lake Michigan a lake in the N central US between Wisconsin and Michigan: the third largest of the five Great Lakes and the only one wholly in the US; linked with Lake Huron by the Straits of Mackinac. Area: 58 000 sq km (22 400 sq miles)
Word Origin and History for lansing
name originally applied to the lake, perhaps from Old Ojibwa (Algonquian) *meshi-gami "big lake." The spelling is French. Organized as a U.S. territory 1805, admitted as a state 1837. A resident might be a Michigander (1848) or a Michiganian (1813).