- a town in and the capital of Aisne, in N France, E of Paris.
- a river in N France, flowing NW and W to the Oise. 175 miles (280 km) long.
- a department in N France. 2868 sq. mi. (7430 sq. km). Capital: Laon.
Examples from the Web for laon
Historical Examples of laon
Laon soon learned something of the character of its new bishop.Historical Tales, Vol. 6 (of 15)
With thumb and forefinger I could have spanned the distance between Soissons and Laon.High Adventure
James Norman Hall
June 8th, we left Laon at sunrise, and took the road to St Quentin.Travels in France during the years 1814-1815
Examples of them are, however, to be found at Laon, Soissons and Paris.The Story of Chartres
I have spoken of this poem under its first name of Laon and Cythna.Shelley
John Addington Symonds
- a department of NE France, in Picardy region. Capital: Laon. Pop: 535 326 (2003 est). Area: 7428 sq km (2897 sq miles)
- a river in N France, rising in the Argonne Forest and flowing northwest and west to the River Oise: scene of a major Allied offensive in 1918 which turned the tide finally against Germany in World War I. Length: 282 km (175 miles)