- incision through the abdominal wall.
- incision into the loin, especially for access to the abdominal cavity.
Origin of laparotomy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for laparotomy
Delivery through the flank (Cæsarean section, or laparotomy).Special Report on Diseases of Cattle
U.S. Department of Agriculture
The following table by Ashhurst12 shows the results of laparotomy.
Under satisfactory conditions a laparotomy would be here indicated.Surgical Experiences in South Africa, 1899-1900
George Henry Makins
Is laparotomy licit when performed for extrauterine pregnancy or ectopic gestation?Essays In Pastoral Medicine
Both were operations for the delivery of women by laparotomy, and in each case the centre of respiration was overwhelmed.The Ethics of Medical Homicide and Mutilation
- surgical incision through the abdominal wall, esp to investigate the cause of an abdominal disorder
- surgical incision into the loin
C19: from Greek lapara flank, from laparos soft + -tomy
- Surgical incision into the abdominal cavity through the loin or flank.